The 10 elements
1. A whole school strategy and planning to improve performance in basic skills.
2. An analysis of the assessment of pupil performance in basic skills.
3. Target setting for the improvement of the school’s performance in basic skills.
4. Basic skills improvement planning for pupils underattaining and/or underachieving.
5. Regular review of the progress made by pupils underattaining and/or underachieving in basic skills.
6. A commitment to improving the skills of staff to teach and extend basic skills.
7. The use of a range of teaching approaches and learning styles to improve basic skills.
8. The use of appropriate teaching and learning materials to improve basic skills.
9. The involvement of parents and carers in developing their child’s basic skills.
10. An effective procedure for monitoring planning and assessing improvement in performance in basic skills.